What are the benefits of the dandelion root tea? One of the benefits is it can reduce water weight because it acts as a natural diuretic. When it acts like a natural diuretic it will help you urine more. There was a study that showed that an increased urine output happens after drinking two 1-cup servings of dandelion tea made from the leaves of the plant.
Dandelion root tea can potentially promote liver health. There was a 2017 study that showed that polysaccharides in dandelion can be beneficial to positive liver function.
Dandelion roots have been studied for years on its cancer beating potential effects. There was a 2011 Canadian study that showed that dandelion root extract induces cell death in melanoma cells without impacting non-cancerous cells. Another study showed it does the same to pancreatic cancer cells. Mores studies still needs to be done but the potential is promising.
There has been some anecdotal evidence that has shown that dandelion roots and leaves can help relieve urinary tract infections. There are some people that can have allergic reactions to dandelion. And certain medications such as lithium, cipro, diuretics can cause a negative reaction if taking with dandelion.
There are some compounds in dandelion that has shown that it can decrease triglycerides and cholesterol levels. It is important to note that this has been shown in animal studies. There still needs to be research done in humans to 100% say that this can reduce cholesterol levels.
Diuretic medications are used in patients to help bring down their blood pressure levels. And dandelion has natural diuretic properties so essentially it can help slightly with reducing your blood pressure. Although the studies have shown are limited. Dandelion also has potassium, and that mineral is associated with decreasing the blood pressure of individuals that have elevated levels.
Dandelion plant root has a rich source of the prebiotic fiber inulin, and this has been shown to reduce constipation and promote the movement of food through your digestive system. It also helps to support bowel regularity and positive digestive gut health.
Dandelion greens provide a good source of calcium and vitamin k. And both vitamins and minerals play a part in positive bone health.
The Bottom Line is Dandelion Root has a lot of positive health benefits and it can be added into your regular diet as a form of supplementation.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals.
You can get a discount below at this link.
- McCabe L, Britton RA, Parameswaran N. Prebiotic and Probiotic Regulation of Bone Health: Role of the Intestine and its Microbiome. Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2015 Dec;13(6):363-71. doi: 10.1007/s11914-015-0292-x. PMID: 26419466; PMCID: PMC4623939.
- Domazetovic V, Marcucci G, Iantomasi T, Brandi ML, Vincenzini MT. Oxidative stress in bone remodeling: role of antioxidants. Clin Cases Miner Bone Metab. 2017 May-Aug;14(2):209-216. doi: 10.11138/ccmbm/2017.14.1.209. Epub 2017 Oct 25. PMID: 29263736; PMCID: PMC5726212.
- Kim D, Han A, Park Y. Association of Dietary Total Antioxidant Capacity with Bone Mass and Osteoporosis Risk in Korean Women: Analysis of the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2008-2011. Nutrients. 2021 Mar 31;13(4):1149. doi: 10.3390/nu13041149. PMID: 33807163; PMCID: PMC8065953.
- Cormick G, Belizán JM. Calcium Intake and Health. Nutrients. 2019 Jul 15;11(7):1606. doi: 10.3390/nu11071606. PMID: 31311164; PMCID: PMC6683260.
- Rodríguez-Olleros Rodríguez C, Díaz Curiel M. Vitamin K and Bone Health: A Review on the Effects of Vitamin K Deficiency and Supplementation and the Effect of Non-Vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants on Different Bone Parameters. J Osteoporos. 2019 Dec 31;2019:2069176. doi: 10.1155/2019/2069176. PMID: 31976057; PMCID: PMC6955144.
- Collado Yurrita L, San Mauro Martín I, Ciudad-Cabañas MJ, Calle-Purón ME, Hernández Cabria M. Effectiveness of inulin intake on indicators of chronic constipation; a meta-analysis of controlled randomized clinical trials. Nutr Hosp. 2014 Aug 1;30(2):244-52. doi: 10.3305/nh.2014.30.2.7565. PMID: 25208775.
- Binia A, Jaeger J, Hu Y, Singh A, Zimmermann D. Daily potassium intake and sodium-to-potassium ratio in the reduction of blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Hypertens. 2015 Aug;33(8):1509-20. doi: 10.1097/HJH.0000000000000611. PMID: 26039623.
- Clare BA, Conroy RS, Spelman K. The diuretic effect in human subjects of an extract of Taraxacum officinale folium over a single day. J Altern Complement Med. 2009 Aug;15(8):929-34. doi: 10.1089/acm.2008.0152. PMID: 19678785; PMCID: PMC3155102.
- Ferrare K, Bidel LPR, Awwad A, Poucheret P, Cazals G, Lazennec F, Azay-Milhau J, Tournier M, Lajoix AD, Tousch D. Increase in insulin sensitivity by the association of chicoric acid and chlorogenic acid contained in a natural chicoric acid extract (NCRAE) of chicory (Cichorium intybus L.) for an antidiabetic effect. J Ethnopharmacol. 2018 Apr 6;215:241-248. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2017.12.035. Epub 2018 Jan 9. PMID: 29325917.
- Alkadi H. A Review on Free Radicals and Antioxidants. Infect Disord Drug Targets. 2020;20(1):16-26. doi: 10.2174/1871526518666180628124323. PMID: 29952268.
- Vandeputte D, Falony G, Vieira-Silva S, Wang J, Sailer M, Theis S, Verbeke K, Raes J. Prebiotic inulin-type fructans induce specific changes in the human gut microbiota. Gut. 2017 Nov;66(11):1968-1974. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2016-313271. Epub 2017 Feb 17. PMID: 28213610; PMCID: PMC5739857.
- Chatterjee SJ, Ovadje P, Mousa M, Hamm C, Pandey S. The efficacy of dandelion root extract in inducing apoptosis in drug-resistant human melanoma cells. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2011;2011:129045. doi: 10.1155/2011/129045. Epub 2010 Dec 30. PMID: 21234313; PMCID: PMC3018636.
- Ovadje P, Chochkeh M, Akbari-Asl P, Hamm C, Pandey S. Selective induction of apoptosis and autophagy through treatment with dandelion root extract in human pancreatic cancer cells. Pancreas. 2012 Oct;41(7):1039-47. doi: 10.1097/MPA.0b013e31824b22a2. PMID: 22647733.
- Cai L, Wan D, Yi F, Luan L. Purification, Preliminary Characterization and Hepatoprotective Effects of Polysaccharides from Dandelion Root. Molecules. 2017; 22(9):1409. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules22091409