What is the anti-inflammatory diet? It is a nutrient rich whole food diet that includes vegetables, whole fruits, whole grains, legumes, etc.
Some of the top anti-inflammatory foods
Some of those fresh vegetables can be broccoli, spinach, brussels sprouts, asparagus, green beans, kale, cauliflower, etc.
Fruits can be apples, bananas, oranges, peaches, strawberries, berries, cherries, etc.
Whole Grains like barley, brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat, etc.
Fatty Fish like salmon, trout, fish, sardines, tuna, mackerel, etc.
Healthy Fats like avocado oil, seeds, nuts, fish, virgin oil, etc.
Legumes/Beans like black beans, black eyed peas, chickpeas, lentils, etc.
Drinks like water, green tea, coffee in moderation.
What is the anti-inflammatory diet? Istock Photo credit: fermate
The Mediterranean diet is considered one of the healthiest diets and that diet mirrors some of the top anti-inflammatory foods.
Some of the foods you want to avoid that causes inflammation is:
- Gluten foods like white bread or pasta.
- Refined sugars like soft drinks, cookies, cake, ice cream, breakfast cereals, etc.
- Trans fats like fast food restaurants like McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza hut, etc.
- Processed snack foods like crackers, chips, cookies, etc.
- Soybean oil and vegetable oils
- Large amount of alcohol
Research studies have shown that diets that consume a high amount of ultra processed foods are linked to a high risk of cardiovascular disease, heart attack, stroke, cancers, irritable bowel syndrome, Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, Crohn’s disease, ulcerates colitis, obesity, etc. Ultra processed foods typically have a high amount of sugar, salt, sodium, and that is why it is unhealthy.
If you are consuming a breakfast that consists of pancakes, bacon, or processed breakfast cereals. A suitable healthier replacement breakfast option would be:
- avocado with wheat bread,
- Greek yogurt
- smoked salmon
- whole oats and berries
- pineapples or strawberries
- scrambled or boiled eggs, etc.
If you are consuming a lunch that consists of pizza or fried chicken, hamburgers, French fries, etc.
A suitable healthier lunch option would be:
- Chicken breast
- Turkey Breast
- Garden Salad
- Brown Rice
- Sweet Potatoes
- Unsalted almonds or cashews
If you are consuming a dinner that consists of 5 beers, Doritos, Big Mac hamburger, Cookies, cakes, Candies, brownies, etc.
A suitable healthier dinner option would be:
- Grilled Fish or salmon
- Garden Salad
- Green vegetables like broccoli, spinach, asparagus, green beans, etc.
- Greek Yogurt
- Water, green tea, or freshly squeezed orange juice
- Carrots and cucumbers
It is important to know that following a plant-based diet can help tremendously with reducing inflammation in the body.
The Bottom Line the best foods to eat that are in the anti-inflammatory diet category are green vegetables, whole grains like barley, oats, quinoa, whole fruits like apples, oranges, bananas, etc.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
About Author- Obi Obadike
- Arthritis Foundation- https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/nutrition/anti-inflammatory/anti-inflammatory-diet
- Urpi-Sarda M, Casas R, Sacanella E, Corella D, Andrés-Lacueva C, Llorach R, Garrabou G, Cardellach F, Sala-Vila A, Ros E, Ruiz-Canela M, Fitó M, Salas-Salvadó J, Estruch R. The 3-Year Effect of the Mediterranean Diet Intervention on Inflammatory Biomarkers Related to Cardiovascular Disease. Biomedicines. 2021 Jul 22;9(8):862. doi: 10.3390/biomedicines9080862. PMID: 34440065; PMCID: PMC8389558.
- Soltani S, Chitsazi MJ, Salehi-Abargouei A. The effect of dietary approaches to stop hypertension (DASH) on serum inflammatory markers: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. Clin Nutr. 2018 Apr;37(2):542-550. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2017.02.018. Epub 2017 Mar 2. PMID: 28302405.