What are the health benefits of iron supplements? If you don’t get enough iron in your diet then iron supplements can help change or reverse that iron deficiency. It is an important nutrient that plays an important role in your body while keeping you healthy and full of energy.
Some of the types of people that are prone to low iron levels are:
- Pregnant people
- People with cancer
- People with heavy periods
- Infants and young children
- People with heart failure
- People following a vegan or vegetarian diet
- If you have gone through gastric surgery
- Frequent blood donors
- People with alcoholism
- People with gastrointestinal disorders such as celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis.
Iron deficiency syndrome is a condition in which your blood doesn’t contain enough healthy oxygen carrying red blood cells. And you can experience the following symptoms if you have IDA.
- Low energy
- Pale skin
- Hair loss
- Frequent bouts of illness
- Sore tongue
- Heart palpitations
If you experience any of these symptoms then you need to contact your healthcare provider and have your doctor perform some diagnostic iron level tests. Getting a blood test is one of the best ways to diagnose low iron levels of IDA.
And hemoglobin and hematocrit tests are commonly used to screen for iron deficiency. Another test you can do to test for iron is serum ferritin which is the most cost effective test you can do to test for iron deficiency.
If you have no history of low iron levels, then you should test once a year to check for iron deficiency.
Here are some good sources of iron if you don’t go the iron supplement route. And that is salmon, eggs, leafy green vegetables like spinach and broccoli, milk, beef, legumes, chicken, turkey, yogurt, pork, trout, sunflower seeds, fortified cereal.
“If you don’t get enough iron in your diet then iron supplements can help change or reverse that iron deficiency. It is an important nutrient that plays an important role in your body while keeping you healthy and full of energy.” Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert Obi Obadike
The Bottom Line is that iron supplements can help reverse or change iron deficiency if you are not getting enough iron from food.
The people that are more prone to low iron levels are pregnant women, young children, and infants.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
- National Institutes Of Health- https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
- Tran-Duy A, Connell NJ, Vanmolkot FH, Souverein PC, de Wit NJ, Stehouwer CDA, Hoes AW, de Vries F, de Boer A. Use of proton pump inhibitors and risk of iron deficiency: a population-based case-control study. J Intern Med. 2019 Feb;285(2):205-214. doi: 10.1111/joim.12826. Epub 2018 Sep 17. PMID: 30141278.
- Wouthuyzen-Bakker M, van Assen S. Exercise-induced anaemia: a forgotten cause of iron deficiency anaemia in young adults. Br J Gen Pract. 2015 May;65(634):268-9. doi: 10.3399/bjgp15X685069. PMID: 25918331; PMCID: PMC4408516.
- Pawlak R, Berger J, Hines I. Iron Status of Vegetarian Adults: A Review of Literature. Am J Lifestyle Med. 2016 Dec 16;12(6):486-498. doi: 10.1177/1559827616682933. PMID: 30783404; PMCID: PMC6367879.
- Abbaspour N, Hurrell R, Kelishadi R. Review on iron and its importance for human health. J Res Med Sci. 2014 Feb;19(2):164-74. PMID: 24778671; PMCID: PMC3999603.
- Jimenez K, Kulnigg-Dabsch S, Gasche C. Management of Iron Deficiency Anemia. Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y). 2015 Apr;11(4):241-50. PMID: 27099596; PMCID: PMC4836595.