How much weight can I lose in 3 weeks? The CDC, Center for Disease Control recommends that a healthy weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds per week. So realistically you can lose up to 6 pounds in 3 weeks and that is a healthy weight loss. Losing 20 pounds in 3 weeks only happens in false dreams and silly reality weight loss TV shows. This is an unrealistic weight loss goal that you can’t expect to lose.
If you lose too much weight in a short amount of time because of fad diets or extreme workouts it will negatively affect your metabolism. And you will lose muscle tissue which also affects your resting metabolic rate. Losing weight, the healthy way should always be your goal so you can keep it off in a permanent and sustainable way.
How much weight can I lose in 3 weeks? Photo credit: iStock-Prostock-Studio
The only way to lose weight is to be in a caloric deficit and that is the result of consuming fewer calories than you burn. If you can keep your body in a deficit for 3 weeks, then you should lose up to 6 pounds in that timeframe.
One pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories. And to lose one pound per week you need to burn an average of 500 calories per day. That comes out to 3500 calories over a week period. To lose 2 pounds per week you need to create a daily deficit of 1000 calories.
The type of cardio workouts you can do to help you with this caloric deficit are:
The type of strength training workouts:
- Bodyweight training
- Dumbbell Training
- Machine Weights Training
Some of the diet and nutrition tips you can do to shed pounds is:
- Eliminate and minimize processed foods like potato chips, cookies in favor of whole foods like fruits and vegetables.
- Cut back on alcohol which contains a lot of empty unnecessary calories.
- Swap sugary sodas for water.
- Cut back on sugar as much as possible except for natural sugar in fruits.
- Use modest amounts of healthy fat oils such as olive oil, vegetable oil, avocados, nuts, nuts butters and nuts oils.
- Eat at least 4 servings of vegetables and 3 servings of fruits.
- Follow a low-calorie diet that is anywhere between 1200 calories to 1800 calories. And that is predicated on how much you weigh and your physical activity level.
The American Heart Association recommends exercising 150 minutes per week to maintain a healthy heart which comes out to walking 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week.
A good reasonable diet goal is eating 3 balanced healthy meals along with one or two small snacks if needed. Weight loss isn’t a sprint, it is a marathon. So, patience is very important to get through the weight loss process.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount at this link below.
- CDC- https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, NIH- https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/recommen.htm
- Mayo Clinic- https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/calories/art-20048065
- American Council On Exercise- http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness-fact-article/2678/weight-loss-diet-vs-exercise/
- CDC- Center Disease For Control- http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/calories/
- Harvard, T.H Chan- https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-weight/