What are the side effects of losing weight quickly? One to two pounds per week is considered a healthy weight loss. When people lose weight too quickly, they are not able to successfully keep it off. These quick fix diets always seem to cut out major food groups like carbs and whole grains.
When you cut out nutrients that your body needs it affects your energy and strength levels. And if your energy and strength levels are affected this affects how you interact with people on a day-to-day basis. There is research that has shown that people who lose weight rapidly two thirds of them gain the weight back.
These are the potential symptoms of nutritional deficiencies.
- Lower Energy Levels
- Hair Loss
- Suppressed Immune System
- Brittle Bones and Osteoporosis
Rapid weight loss comes from extreme calorie deprivation and an example is going from 3,000 calories per day to 1000 calories per day. When your body recognizes that it is getting a limited supply of food the way it protects itself is going into starvation mode. When your body goes into starvation mode your metabolism slows down to help you conserve energy. And the result is your body ends up hanging on to more fat.
What are the side effects of losing weight quickly? Photo Credit: iStock-rachenkov
When you are dieting depending on how many calories you are consuming presently you don’t have to cut your calories in an extreme way. Most people will lose 1 to 2 pounds of week per week if they cut 500 calories less a day through a combination of diet and exercise.
If you cut calories too quickly it will result to severe muscle loss. And losing muscle affects the rate of your metabolism. Remember the more lean muscle mass you have the faster your metabolism will be. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat. One pound of muscle burns more calories a day than one pound of fat. A loss of muscle means you will burn less calories a day.
Here are some tips on how to boost your metabolism
- Lift Weights Regularly
- Eat Protein with each meal
- Incorporate High Intensity Interval Training
- Eat Enough Calories
Eating high protein and lifting weights regularly will help you preserve your lean muscle mass which will help speed your metabolism. The amount of muscle mass you have is linked to the rate of your metabolism.
If you cut calories too quickly it will result to severe muscle loss. And losing muscle affects the rate of your metabolism. Remember the more lean muscle mass you have the faster your metabolism will be. Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert Obi Obadike
Anytime that your daily calories are less than 1,200 calories per day you will see a drop in your metabolism. It will affect your ability to lose weight if your daily calories are that low. That is why it is not advisable to be on an 800 to 900 calorie a day diet. It is not sustainable, and you will have tough time losing weight that way.
The healthiest way to lose weight is to:
- Eat high Protein and moderate amount of carbs foods.
- Drink lots of water and try to drink up to 6 to 8 glasses of water per day.
- Try to get at least 30 grams of fiber per day in fruits and vegetables.
- Try to do at least 4 days of cardio per day for 30 minutes a day.
- Try to incorporate at least 3 days of strength training per week. And if you can try to incorporate high intensity interval training in your workout routine.
- Get plenty of rest at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep per day.
- Keep your stress levels at a minimal level.
- Try to stay away from fatty sugary junk food like cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc.
- Try to stay within 1200 to 1900 calories per day while being on a caloric deficit. And this depends on how much you weigh as well as your fitness and weight loss goals.
The Bottom Line is losing weight rapidly is very unhealthy and not sustainable. When you are on any sensible weight loss program you lose the most weight the first week. And it can be up to 5 pounds and most of that weight is water.
After the 2nd week it should stabilize to one to 2 pounds per week. The most important thing when you are losing weight the healthy way is eating in a balanced way. And then making sure your daily calorie intake isn’t too extreme.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals.
You can get a discount below at this link.