Why is corn considered good for losing weight? Corn is a vegetable, and it is loaded with fiber. And eating fiber will make you eat less food which will help you with weight loss. It is rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals and low protein and fat.
Why is corn considered good for losing weight? Photo credit: chengyuzheng
One of cup of corn contains the following:
- Calories: 177
- Protein: 5.4 grams
- Carbs: 41 grams
- Fat: 2.1 grams
- Fiber: 4.6 grams
- Vitamin C: 17% of the Daily Value
- Thiamine-Vitamin B1: 24% of the Daily Value
- Folate-Vitamin B9: 19% of the Daily Value
- Magnesium- 11% of the Daily Value
- Potassium- 10% of the Daily Value
Losing Weight With Corn
- One of the main reasons why eating corn can help you lose weight is the high content of dietary fiber. That fiber will slow the digestion process and make you feel full much sooner than later. This will help prevent you from overeating and snacking. The Harvard Healthy Publishing suggests that eating 30 grams of fiber every day will make you lose weight.
Why Is Corn Considered Good For Losing Weight?
Corn Helps With Bone Health
- So, 1 cup of corn equals 1/3 of the 30 grams of fiber a day and is advisable to help you manage your weight. Corn has a reliable source of magnesium, and 26 grams of magnesium is offered per 100 grams of corn. And popcorn offers abut 21 grams of magnesium per serving.
- Diets that are high in magnesium has been shown to increased bone density. And it helps reduce the risk of osteoporosis in women after going through menopause.
- Sweet corn also has a good amount of potassium, and it has 218 milligrams of potassium per 100 grams. Potassium is also important for the health of your bones by helping to improve the bone mineral density. If you are deficient in potassium, it can deplete the calcium in your bones. We need potassium to support a healthy heart, healthy kidney as well as good muscle contraction and nerve transmission.
- Corn also has a good healthy amount of phosphorus. It contains about 77 milligrams of phosphorus. Phosphorus is an important mineral for bone growth and if you are extremely deficient in this it can cause bone disease.
Corn Can Improve Vision
- Corn has a high amount of zeaxanthin along with lutein and this contributes to the characteristic of the color of yellow corn. These fat-soluble carotenoids are found in the retina of your eye. Your body can’t synthesize these compounds as it needs to be supplied by your diet and what you eat. There was a study that revealed that a diet that included lutein and zeaxanthin can prevent or delay the progression of blindness.
Corn can help improve your health
- The amount of Vitamin C per serving per 1 cup of corn has 17% of the daily value. Vitamin C is an antioxidant which helps to fight off chronic diseases. Corn nutrition has also a good amount of B Vitamins such as thiamine, niacin, pantothenic acid, folate, riboflavin, B6. You need B Vitamins for energy production and maintaining the function of your nervous system and brain.
Corn can help improve your digestive system
- This will sound like a broken record, but fiber is important to maintain the health of your digestive system. Sweet corn and popcorn provide 10% of your daily value of fiber at 2.4 grams per serving. The bulk of the fiber helps to move food through the stomach, intestines and out the body.
- This helps to prevent to constipation and diarrhea according to the Mayo Clinic. According to the American Heart Association, fiber can help improve blood cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke and manage Type 2 diabetes.
Corn Can Help Provide Energy
- Sweet corn offers about 19 grams of carbs per 100 grams. And popcorn has 12.4 grams per 2 cups serving. Sweet corn has a healthy amount of complex carbs. We all need carbs to help fuel the brain, heart, kidneys, nervous system, etc. Without carbs in your system, you are literally a walking zombie.
“One of the main reasons why eating corn can help you lose weight is the high content of dietary fiber.” Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert Obi Obadike
The Bottom Line is that corn is a healthy vegetable that contains a lot of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that your body needs to function properly.
And the fiber content in it will help you manage and lose weight effectively. The health benefits of corn are tremendous if you consume it regularly.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness or health goals.
You can get a discount below at this link.
- American Heart Association
Whole Grains, Refined Grains, and Dietary Fiber | American Heart Association
- Mayo Clinic
Dietary fiber: Essential for a healthy diet – Mayo Clinic
- Harvard Health Publishing
Making one change — getting more fiber — can help with weight loss – Harvard Health
- A Plant-Based High-Carbohydrate, Low-Fat Diet in Overweight Individuals in a 16-Week Randomized Clinical Trial: The Role of Carbohydrates.
Kahleova H, Dort S, Holubkov R, Barnard ND. A Plant-Based High-Carbohydrate, Low-Fat Diet in Overweight Individuals in a 16-Week Randomized Clinical Trial: The Role Of Carbohydrates. Nutrients. 2018; 10(9):1302. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10091302
- Eisenhauer, B., Natoli, S., Liew, G., & Flood, V. M. (2017). Lutein and Zeaxanthin-Food Sources, Bioavailability and Dietary Variety in Age-Related Macular Degeneration Protection. Nutrients, 9(2), 120. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9020120