Does protein powder expire? There was a research study that found that the expiration life of whey protein powder is up to 19 months under normal storage conditions such as 70 degrees Fahrenheit and 35 degrees humidity. Other research studies show that whey protein has a shelf life of 9 months when stored at 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
If we take most of these research studies, it is around the average of 12 to 18 months depending on how normal the room temperature is.
Does protein powder expire? Photo credit: iStock-MurzikNata
Protein powders come in many different forms such as:
- Egg White
- Milk- Casein or Whey
Consuming a protein shake is an alternative to increase your daily protein intake if you are not getting enough from whole food sources. The benefits of consuming protein are muscle gain, fat loss, blood pressure control, improved bone health, blood sugar stabilization.
Whey and Plant based protein contains about 20 to 30 grams of protein per serving. Whey protein contains about 9 essential amino acids which are the building blocks of protein. The branch chain amino acids also called BCAA’s contain leucine, isoleucine, valine, etc.
Plant based powders typically have less BCAA’s than whey powders. It is important to understand that whey protein is considered the gold standard for muscle growth because it is a complete protein that contains a good amount of BCAA’s.
Research studies have shown that whey and plant-based powders are equally effective at promoting muscle growth because the protein and BCAA content is similar in amount.
Any protein that contains 20 to 30 grams of protein per serving and 5 to 12 grams of BCAA’s per serving would be considered a high-quality protein. If your goal is to increase your lean muscle mass, you should aim for 0.6 to 0.9 grams of protein per pound and around 20 to 40 grams of protein per meal.
Other protein sources you can eat if you choose not to want to take a protein supplement are chicken, fish, beef, tofu, eggs, legumes, etc. A protein shake should not replace eating a meal, it should only supplement what you are doing with the high-quality protein foods you eat.
The Bottom Line is protein powder can last up to 19 months depending on the room temperature. There are so many different types of protein powder like whey, casein, soy, rice, collagen, etc. Protein powder or foods is the building blocks to building and maintaining lean muscle mass.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
- Morton RW, Murphy KT, McKellar SR, Schoenfeld BJ, Henselmans M, Helms E, Aragon AA, Devries MC, Banfield L, Krieger JW, Phillips SM. A systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression of the effect of protein supplementation on resistance training-induced gains in muscle mass and strength in healthy adults. Br J Sports Med. 2018 Mar;52(6):376-384. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2017-097608. Epub 2017 Jul 11. Erratum in: Br J Sports Med. 2020 Oct;54(19):e7. PMID: 28698222; PMCID: PMC5867436.
- Wright CS, Li J, Campbell WW. Effects of Dietary Protein Quantity on Bone Quantity following Weight Loss: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Adv Nutr. 2019 Nov 1;10(6):1089-1107. doi: 10.1093/advances/nmz058. PMID: 31301138; PMCID: PMC6855958.
- Rebholz CM, Friedman EE, Powers LJ, Arroyave WD, He J, Kelly TN. Dietary protein intake and blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Epidemiol. 2012 Oct 1;176 Suppl 7:S27-43. doi: 10.1093/aje/kws245. PMID: 23035142.
- Dong JY, Zhang ZL, Wang PY, Qin LQ. Effects of high-protein diets on body weight, glycaemic control, blood lipids and blood pressure in type 2 diabetes: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Br J Nutr. 2013 Sep 14;110(5):781-9. doi: 10.1017/S0007114513002055. Epub 2013 Jul 5. PMID: 23829939.
- Sithole R, McDaniel MR, Goddik LM. Rate of maillard browning in sweet whey powder. J Dairy Sci. 2005 May;88(5):1636-45. doi: 10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72835-6. PMID: 15829654.
- Tunick MH, Thomas-Gahring A, Van Hekken DL, Iandola SK, Singh M, Qi PX, Ukuku DO, Mukhopadhyay S, Onwulata CI, Tomasula PM. Physical and chemical changes in whey protein concentrate stored at elevated temperature and humidity. J Dairy Sci. 2016 Mar;99(3):2372-2383. doi: 10.3168/jds.2015-10256. Epub 2016 Jan 6. PMID: 26778305.
- Wang W. Advanced protein formulations. Protein Sci. 2015 Jul;24(7):1031-9. doi: 10.1002/pro.2684. Epub 2015 May 1. PMID: 25858529; PMCID: PMC4500304.
- Thomas ME, Scher J, Desobry-Banon S, Desobry S. Milk powders ageing: effect on physical and functional properties. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2004;44(5):297-322. doi: 10.1080/10408690490464041. PMID: 15540645.
- Rao Q, Klaassen Kamdar A, Labuza TP. Storage Stability of Food Protein Hydrolysates-A Review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2016 May 18;56(7):1169-92. doi: 10.1080/10408398.2012.758085. PMID: 24915379.