What are the benefits of Oregano oil? Oregano oil contains compounds like phenols, terpenes and terpenoids which are powerful antioxidant properties that help to stop the growth of different types of bacteria.
What are the benefits of Oregano oil? Photo credit: iStock-mescioglu
There was a study found in 14 mice that showed that oregano essential oil improved the survival of 14 mice that are infected with Staphylococcus aureus. It found that 43% of the mice given oregano essential oil lived past 30 days. The survival rate was nearly as high as the 50% survival rate for mice that received regular antibiotics.
There was one mouse research study that found oregano essential oil is almost as effective as antibiotics against normal bacteria.
Improving Cholesterol Levels
There have been some studies that have shown that oregano oil can help lower cholesterol levels.
In one study 48 people who had mild cholesterol levels were given diet and lifestyle advice to help lower their cholesterol levels. After 3 months the group that received oregano distillate had lower LDL bad cholesterol levels and higher good cholesterol levels. And this is compared to those who were given diet and lifestyle advice.
Carvacrol, which is the main compound found in oregano oil, has been shown to lower cholesterol levels in mice that were fed a high fat diet for over 10 weeks. The cholesterol lowering effect of oregano oil is because of compounds such as phenols, thymol and carvacrol.
Improving Gut Health
There have been some research studies that have shown that oregano can improve gut health. There was an older study that gave 600 mg of Oregano oil to 14 people who had gut symptoms because of a parasite.
After daily treatment for 6 weeks all participants experienced a reduction in parasites and 77% were cured. They experienced a reduction in gut symptoms and tiredness associated with other symptoms.
There was a study on pigs where oregano essential oil protected the gut wall damage and prevented it from being leaky. It reduced the number of E coli bacteria in the gut.
Studies shown that oregano essential oil helped relieved pain significantly in older mice. There still needs to be more studies on humans to validate this effect 100%.
Research has shown that oregano oil can reduce inflammation. Carvacrol one of the key components in oregano oil has been shown to reduce inflammation in mice. But more studies in humans need to come out to validate these effects.
The Bottom Line is there are a lot of health benefits to oregano oil, and it is important to have it as a part of your regular diet and lifestyle regimen.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
- Afarineshe Khaki MR, Pahlavan Y, Sepehri G, Sheibani V, Pahlavan B. Antinociceptive Effect of Aqueous Extract of Origanum vulgare L. in Male Rats: Possible Involvement of the GABAergic System. Iran J Pharm Res. 2013 Spring;12(2):407-13. PMID: 24250616; PMCID: PMC3813232.
- Bukovská A, Cikos S, Juhás S, Il’ková G, Rehák P, Koppel J. Effects of a combination of thyme and oregano essential oils on TNBS-induced colitis in mice. Mediators Inflamm. 2007;2007:23296. doi: 10.1155/2007/23296. PMID: 18288268; PMCID: PMC2233768.
- Force M, Sparks WS, Ronzio RA. Inhibition of enteric parasites by emulsified oil of oregano in vivo. Phytother Res. 2000 May;14(3):213-4. doi: 10.1002/(sici)1099-1573(200005)14:3<213::aid-ptr583>3.0.co;2-u. PMID: 10815019.
- Zou Y, Xiang Q, Wang J, Peng J, Wei H. Oregano Essential Oil Improves Intestinal Morphology and Expression of Tight Junction Proteins Associated with Modulation of Selected Intestinal Bacteria and Immune Status in a Pig Model. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:5436738. doi: 10.1155/2016/5436738. Epub 2016 May 29. PMID: 27314026; PMCID: PMC4903144.
- Ozdemir B, Ekbul A, Topal NB, Sarandöl E, Sağ S, Başer KH, Cordan J, Güllülü S, Tuncel E, Baran I, Aydinlar A. Effects of Origanum onites on endothelial function and serum biochemical markers in hyperlipidaemic patients. J Int Med Res. 2008 Nov-Dec;36(6):1326-34. doi: 10.1177/147323000803600621. PMID: 19094443.
- Kim E, Choi Y, Jang J, Park T. Carvacrol Protects against Hepatic Steatosis in Mice Fed a High-Fat Diet by Enhancing SIRT1-AMPK Signaling. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:290104. doi: 10.1155/2013/290104. Epub 2013 Feb 20. PMID: 23533470; PMCID: PMC3590501.
- Kulisić T, Krisko A, Dragović-Uzelac V, Milos M, Pifat G. The effects of essential oils and aqueous tea infusions of oregano (Origanum vulgare L. spp. hirtum), thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.) and wild thyme (Thymus serpyllum L.) on the copper-induced oxidation of human low-density lipoproteins. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2007 Mar;58(2):87-93. doi: 10.1080/09637480601108307. PMID: 17469764.
- Preuss HG, Echard B, Dadgar A, Talpur N, Manohar V, Enig M, Bagchi D, Ingram C. Effects of Essential Oils and Monolaurin on Staphylococcus aureus: In Vitro and In Vivo Studies. Toxicol Mech Methods. 2005;15(4):279-85. doi: 10.1080/15376520590968833. PMID: 20021093.
- Veenstra JP, Johnson JJ. Oregano (Origanum vulgare) extract for food preservation and improvement in gastrointestinal health. Int J Nutr. 2019;3(4):43-52. doi: 10.14302/issn.2379-7835.ijn-19-2703. Epub 2019 Apr 9. PMID: 31080888; PMCID: PMC6508890.
- Nostro A, Papalia T. Antimicrobial activity of carvacrol: current progress and future prospectives. Recent Pat Antiinfect Drug Discov. 2012 Apr;7(1):28-35. doi: 10.2174/157489112799829684. PMID: 22044355.
- Bakota EL, Winkler-Moser JK, Berhow MA, Eller FJ, Vaughn SF. Antioxidant activity and sensory evaluation of a rosmarinic acid-enriched extract of Salvia officinalis. J Food Sci. 2015 Apr;80(4):C711-7. doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.12837. Epub 2015 Mar 21. PMID: 25808312.