How to get rid of cellulite? Well research and statistics studies show that more than 85% of women over the age of 21 deal with cellulite. So, this is a common problem for women more so than men. What is cellulite? Cellulite is a dimpled looking skin that is located around the thigh region. And this forms when fatty tissue is deep in the skin while pushing up against the connective tissue.
How to get rid of cellulite? Photo credit: Istock-Prostock-studio
Here are some of the factors that increase cellulite:
- Genetics/Family history
- Poor circulation
- Weight Gain- being obese or overweight.
- Loss of collagen
There are three grades of cellulite:
- Grade 1- mild- An orange peel simple dimpling appearance and a slight depression of the skin. 1 to 4 slight depressions of the skin.
- Grade 2- moderate- Deeper rippling of the skin with cottage cheese appearance. 5 to 9 medium depressions of the skin.
- Grade 3- severe- Deep skin like a mattress like appearance and 10 or more depressions of the skin.
Here are some home remedies that may help with cellulite:
- Bioactive collagen peptides. There was a 2015 study that found an improvement in cellulite in women who took bioactive collagen peptides. The women took it for 6 months and saw a noticeable decrease in cellulite on their thighs. There was a noticeable difference in both women who had moderate and higher weight.
- Losing body fat and weight. If you are overweight or obese you are at higher risk of having cellulite. So, losing body fat through exercise and diet will help reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Stronger muscles and tighter skin can help reduce the appearance of cellulite. And the best way to do this is through lower body weight-training.
Some good legs exercises, to help build muscle around the thighs and to help tighten the skin to help with cellulite is squats.
How to do a Bodyweight Squats with Dumbbells is:
Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and point your toes forward. Squat down at a 90-degree angle like you’re sitting in a chair with the dumbbells in hand. Once you get to the end position then come back up in the squat in a standing position while you have the dumbbells in your hand. Repeat this until you have 10 to 12 reps for 3 to 4 sets.
Side Step Lunge
Stand with your feet hip width apart. Take a wide step to one side. Bend your knee while keeping your left leg straight. Push off with the same leg to return to the starting position. Repeat the other side and bend the left knee and straighten the right leg.
The FDA- Federal Drug Administration approved an injectable treatment called CCH, (collagenase clostridium histolyticum-aaes for cellulite treatment on the butt. There was a 2020 double blind placebo-controlled trial of 259 participants that showed that it was safe and effective at treating moderate and severe cellulite on the butt and thighs.
The American Academy Of Dermatology says that creams that have 0.3 percent retinol may reduce cellulite and make the skin look thicker. They say it can take 6 months or longer to see results. If you are really interested in reducing the visual appearance of cellulite on your thighs or butt it is best to consult with a dermatologist.
Some other alternative treatments are laser therapy which can help reduce cellulite. It may not completely get rid of it, but it can help reduce it.
The Bottom Line is some of the best ways to get rid of cellulite is following a healthy diet and exercise program. Massages and laser therapy are some good alternative methods and an FDA approved injection treatment called CCH.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
- Kaufman-Janette JA, Bass LS, Xiang Q, McLane MP, Kirby MT, Vijayan S. Efficacy, Safety, and Durability of Response of Collagenase Clostridium Histolyticum-aaes for Treating Cellulite. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2020 Dec 23;8(12):e3316. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000003316. PMID: 33425621; PMCID: PMC7787338.
- Schunck M, Zague V, Oesser S, Proksch E. Dietary Supplementation with Specific Collagen Peptides Has a Body Mass Index-Dependent Beneficial Effect on Cellulite Morphology. J Med Food. 2015 Dec;18(12):1340-8. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2015.0022. Epub 2015 Nov 12. PMID: 26561784; PMCID: PMC4685482.
- Friedmann DP, Vick GL, Mishra V. Cellulite: a review with a focus on subcision. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2017 Jan 7;10:17-23. doi: 10.2147/CCID.S95830. PMID: 28123311; PMCID: PMC5234561.
- American Academy Of Dermatology Association- https://www.aad.org/public/cosmetic/fat-removal/cellulite-treatments-what-really-works
- American Society For Dermatologic Surgery- https://www.asds.net/skin-experts/skin-conditions/cellulite