What are the health benefits of enoki mushrooms? The nutritional contents of one cup of enoki mushrooms are:
- Calories- 24
- Protein- 2 grams
- Fat- 0.2 grams
- Carbs- 5 grams
- Fiber- 2 grams
- Niacin- 29% of the Daily Value
- Pantothenic Acid- 18% of the Daily Value
- Thiamin- 12% of the Daily Value
- Riboflavin- 10% of the Daily Value
- Copper- 8% of the Daily Value
- Folate- 8% of the Daily Value
- Phosphorus- 8% of the Daily Value
The niacin in Enoki mushrooms helps to regulate cholesterol and promote positive brain health. The thiamine in Enoki mushrooms helps to regulate the function of the nerve cells.
It contains a variety of antioxidants which help to prevent chronic conditions such as heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes, etc. Some of the antioxidants it contains is:
- Gallic acid
- Ferulic acid
- Ellagic acid
- Chlorogenic acid
There have been some animal studies and test tube studies that have shown that enoki mushrooms can help with promoting heart health. There was an animal study that found that hamsters that consumed enoki mushroom extract had lower levels of triglycerides and total cholesterol levels.
Another test tube study showed that the antioxidant content of enoki mushrooms may help slow the progression of atherosclerosis. What is atherosclerosis? Is is when there is buildup of fatty plaque in the arteries.
There are older animal studies that have shown that enoki mushrooms may decrease blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides levels.
There are some test tube and animal studies that have shown that enoki mushroom extract can help support healthy immune function.
There are some animal studies that have shown that enoki mushrooms can help improve brain function and memory.
The Bottom Line is Enoki mushrooms have tremendous health benefits as they contain antioxidants that can help fight chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes, etc.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
- Wu M, Luo X, Xu X, Wei W, Yu M, Jiang N, Ye L, Yang Z, Fei X. Antioxidant and immunomodulatory activities of a polysaccharide from Flammulina velutipes. J Tradit Chin Med. 2014 Dec;34(6):733-40. doi: 10.1016/s0254-6272(15)30089-3. PMID: 25618979.
- Zhao S, Gao Q, Rong C, Wang S, Zhao Z, Liu Y, Xu J. Immunomodulatory Effects of Edible and Medicinal Mushrooms and Their Bioactive Immunoregulatory Products. J Fungi (Basel). 2020 Nov 8;6(4):269. doi: 10.3390/jof6040269. PMID: 33171663; PMCID: PMC7712035.
- Zhang Y, Li H, Yang X, Jin G, Zhang Y. Cognitive-enhancing effect of polysaccharides from Flammulina velutipes on Alzheimer’s disease by compatibilizing with ginsenosides. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018 Jun;112:788-795. doi: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.02.040. Epub 2018 Feb 8. PMID: 29428385.
- Fukushima M, Ohashi T, Fujiwara Y, Sonoyama K, Nakano M. Cholesterol-lowering effects of maitake (Grifola frondosa) fiber, shiitake (Lentinus edodes) fiber, and enokitake (Flammulina velutipes) fiber in rats. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2001 Sep;226(8):758-65. doi: 10.1177/153537020222600808. PMID: 11520942.
- Yeh MY, Ko WC, Lin LY. Hypolipidemic and antioxidant activity of enoki mushrooms (Flammulina velutipes). Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:352385. doi: 10.1155/2014/352385. Epub 2014 Aug 31. PMID: 25250317; PMCID: PMC4164374.
- Chen P, Yong Y, Gu Y, Wang Z, Zhang S, Lu L. Comparison of antioxidant and antiproliferation activities of polysaccharides from eight species of medicinal mushrooms. Int J Med Mushrooms. 2015;17(3):287-95. doi: 10.1615/intjmedmushrooms.v17.i3.80. PMID: 25954912.
- Tang C, Hoo PC, Tan LT, Pusparajah P, Khan TM, Lee LH, Goh BH, Chan KG. Golden Needle Mushroom: A Culinary Medicine with Evidenced-Based Biological Activities and Health Promoting Properties. Front Pharmacol. 2016 Dec 7;7:474. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2016.00474. PMID: 28003804; PMCID: PMC5141589.
- Ali SS, Ahsan H, Zia MK, Siddiqui T, Khan FH. Understanding oxidants and antioxidants: Classical team with new players. J Food Biochem. 2020 Mar;44(3):e13145. doi: 10.1111/jfbc.13145. Epub 2020 Jan 20. PMID: 31960481.
- Frank LL. Thiamin in Clinical Practice. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2015 Jul;39(5):503-20. doi: 10.1177/0148607114565245. Epub 2015 Jan 6. PMID: 25564426.
- Djadjo S, Bajaj T. Niacin. [Updated 2022 Mar 28]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK541036/
- USDA- https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/169382/nutrients