What are the health benefits of enoki mushrooms? Enoki mushrooms are high in fiber and B vitamins. It is also high in niacin and pantothenic acid. Niacin is a micronutrient your body uses to regulate cholesterol and brain health. It is also rich in thiamine which can help regulate the function of your nerve cells.
Enoki mushrooms possess a good solid source of antioxidants. And antioxidants help to fight off a variety of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes, etc. There was a study that revealed the enoki mushrooms contain the following antioxidants such as ferulic acid, gallic acid, caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid, ellagic acid, etc.
Here are the nutrients for one cup of mushrooms.
- Calories- 24
- Protein- 2 grams
- Fat- 0.2 grams
- Carbs- 5 grams
- Fiber- 2 grams
- Niacin- 29% of the Daily Value
- Pantothenic Acid- 18% of the DV
- Thiamin- 12% of the DV
- Riboflavin- 10% of the DV
- Copper- 8% of the DV
- Folate- 8% of the DV
- Phosphorus- 6% of the DV
There are some studies that show that enoki mushrooms can help support heart health. There were some older animal studies that showed enoki mushroom extract can help decrease blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. Test tube and animal studies reveal it may reduce several factors for heart disease.
It May Improve Brain Health
Some animal studies reveal that enoki mushrooms protect against impairments in learning and memory caused by a specific medication associated with memory loss. Another animal study in rats showed it improved brain function in rats with Alzheimer’s disease.
It Can Possibly Enhance Immunity
There was an animal study that the compounds in enoki mushroom can enhance the levels of certain immune cells. Another study in mice who had a viral respiratory infection showed that enoki mushrooms reduced airway inflammation.
There still needs to be more studies on human beings to conclusively say it improves immune function in humans. But the data that is available thus far is promising.
Enoki mushrooms can be eaten raw or cooked and can be added to soups, stews, grain bowls and stir fries. If you decide to eat enoki mushrooms it is best to add it to any type of soup for flavor.
The Bottom Line is enoki mushrooms are healthy and it has a good amount of nutrients such as fiber, niacin, B vitamins and antioxidants.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
- Wu M, Luo X, Xu X, Wei W, Yu M, Jiang N, Ye L, Yang Z, Fei X. Antioxidant and immunomodulatory activities of a polysaccharide from Flammulina velutipes. J Tradit Chin Med. 2014 Dec;34(6):733-40. doi: 10.1016/s0254-6272(15)30089-3. PMID: 25618979.
- Zhao S, Gao Q, Rong C, Wang S, Zhao Z, Liu Y, Xu J. Immunomodulatory Effects of Edible and Medicinal Mushrooms and Their Bioactive Immunoregulatory Products. J Fungi (Basel). 2020 Nov 8;6(4):269. doi: 10.3390/jof6040269. PMID: 33171663; PMCID: PMC7712035.
- Chang YC, Chow YH, Sun HL, Liu YF, Lee YT, Lue KH, Ko JL. Alleviation of respiratory syncytial virus replication and inflammation by fungal immunomodulatory protein FIP-fve from Flammulina velutipes. Antiviral Res. 2014 Oct;110:124-31. doi: 10.1016/j.antiviral.2014.08.006. Epub 2014 Aug 14. PMID: 25131377.
- Zhang Y, Li H, Yang X, Jin G, Zhang Y. Cognitive-enhancing effect of polysaccharides from Flammulina velutipes on Alzheimer’s disease by compatibilizing with ginsenosides. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018 Jun;112:788-795. doi: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.02.040. Epub 2018 Feb 8. PMID: 29428385.
- Fukushima M, Ohashi T, Fujiwara Y, Sonoyama K, Nakano M. Cholesterol-lowering effects of maitake (Grifola frondosa) fiber, shiitake (Lentinus edodes) fiber, and enokitake (Flammulina velutipes) fiber in rats. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2001 Sep;226(8):758-65. doi: 10.1177/153537020222600808. PMID: 11520942.
- Ali SS, Ahsan H, Zia MK, Siddiqui T, Khan FH. Understanding oxidants and antioxidants: Classical team with new players. J Food Biochem. 2020 Mar;44(3):e13145. doi: 10.1111/jfbc.13145. Epub 2020 Jan 20. PMID: 31960481.
- Hajhashemi V, Vaseghi G, Pourfarzam M, Abdollahi A. Are antioxidants helpful for disease prevention? Res Pharm Sci. 2010 Jan;5(1):1-8. PMID: 21589762; PMCID: PMC3093095.
- Tang C, Hoo PC, Tan LT, Pusparajah P, Khan TM, Lee LH, Goh BH, Chan KG. Golden Needle Mushroom: A Culinary Medicine with Evidenced-Based Biological Activities and Health Promoting Properties. Front Pharmacol. 2016 Dec 7;7:474. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2016.00474. PMID: 28003804; PMCID: PMC5141589.
- Frank LL. Thiamin in Clinical Practice. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2015 Jul;39(5):503-20. doi: 10.1177/0148607114565245. Epub 2015 Jan 6. PMID: 25564426.
- Djadjo S, Bajaj T. Niacin. [Updated 2022 Mar 28]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK541036/
- U.S Department Of Agriculture- https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/169382/nutrients