How many sit-ups should I do a day? If you are a novice or a beginner a good exercise range is 10 reps for 3 sets. And this could be either sit-ups or crunches. Most people think if you do lots of sit-ups and crunches a day it will make the fat around your stomach go away.
It will help to strengthen and build your core muscles while improving your posture. But to get a flat stomach you must be on some form of a cardiovascular workout. And you must be on a low caloric diet that puts you in a caloric deficit.
How many sit-ups should I do a day? iStock- photo credit: Prostock-Studio
Having flat stomach or wash-board abs is indicative of low bodyfat. If you are a goal to see washboard abs on your stomach, you need to have at least 12% body fat or lower. If you are female to see washboard abs you must be at least 14% bodyfat or lower.
Sit-ups work the hip flexors, lower back, neck, and some of the negative drawback to sit-ups is the strain on your lower back and neck.
How to do a properly do a sit-up:
- Lie flat on your back.
- Make sure your legs are bent and your feet are firmly placed on the ground.
- Cross your hands to the opposite shoulders or place them behind your head.
- Raise your upper body all the way to your knees and exhale as you lift.
- Lower yourself down and return to the starting point.
Crunches probably works the abs more than sit-ups because it is a more isolated exercise. It does a great job of working the obliques, your entire core, and your lower back. And it can improve your overall balance and posture.
How to properly do a crunch:
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend your legs while stabilizing your lower back.
- Cross your hand on your opposite shoulders or have your hands behind the back of your head.
- Lift only your head and shoulder blades from the ground.
- Return to the starting point and start again.
- A good starting rep range for beginner is 10 reps and for intermediate and advanced fitness enthusiast is 20 to 25 reps.
It is important to know that there is no such thing as spot reduction. You can’t lose belly fat just by doing sit-ups and crunches by itself. You need to be on a proper diet and cardiovascular program to help you drop body fat to obtain washboards or a flat stomach.
The Bottom Line is sit-ups and crunches will not make you burn fat on your stomach. You must do some form of aerobic exercise to help you burn fat. And be on a low caloric diet that puts you in a caloric deficit that helps to drop bodyfat.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
About Author- Obi Obadike
- Cholewicki J, Juluru K, McGill SM. Intra-abdominal pressure mechanism for stabilizing the lumbar spine. J Biomech. 1999 Jan;32(1):13-7. doi: 10.1016/s0021-9290(98)00129-8. PMID: 10050947.
- Gardner-Morse MG, Stokes IA. The effects of abdominal muscle coactivation on lumbar spine stability. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1998 Jan 1;23(1):86-91; discussion 91-2. doi: 10.1097/00007632-199801010-00019. PMID: 9460158.
- Kavcic N, Grenier S, McGill SM. Determining the stabilizing role of individual torso muscles during rehabilitation exercises. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2004 Jun 1;29(11):1254-65. doi: 10.1097/00007632-200406010-00016. PMID: 15167666.