How much weight can I lose in 3 months? Most health experts and dieticians and the CDC recommend that a healthy weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds per week. So that means on average you can lose up to 24 pounds in just 3 months which is a phenomenal weight loss achievement.
And that is a healthy weight loss, and this can be achieved through a sensible diet and exercise program. The only time that someone can lose 80 pounds or more in that timeframe is in a pipe dream. Or some silly reality weight loss TV show.
If your goal is to lose 24 pounds in 3 months, then your caloric deficit needs to be at 1000 calories per day. You can’t achieve weight loss without having a caloric deficit.
How much weight can I lose in 3 months? Photo credit: iStock-ogichobanov
If your goal is to lose 12 pounds in 3 months, then your caloric deficit must be about 500 calories per day. The way that you cut those calories is by burning those calories through exercise or cutting those calories by diet.
To create a caloric deficit, you need to know how many calories are needed to maintain your current weight. And that is called your maintenance calories.
This is just an estimate according to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Age: 19-30- Sedentary- 2,400-2,600 calories, Moderately Active- 2,600-2,800 calories, Active- 3,000 calories.
Age: 31-50- Sedentary- 2,200-2,400 calories, Moderately Active- 2,400-2,600 calories, Active- 2,800-3,000 calories.
Age: 51+- Sedentary- 2,000- 2,200 calories, Moderately Active- 2,200-2,400 calories, Active- 2,400-2,800 calories
Age: 19-30- Sedentary-1,800-2,000 calories, Moderately Active- 2,000-2,200 calories, Active- 2,400 calories.
Age: 31-50- Sedentary- 1,800 calories, Moderately Active-2,000 calories, Active- 2,200 calories.
Age: 51+- Sedentary- 1,600 calories, Moderately Active- 1,800 calories, Active- 2,000-2,200 calories.
Your Diet is crucial in helping you lose weight and the best healthy eating weight loss foods to help you is:
- Focus on whole foods and fill your plate with each meal that has fruits and vegetables. Fruits like bananas, apples, oranges, peaches, strawberries. Vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, green beans, asparagus, etc.
- Include complex carbohydrates in your meals such as brown rice, sweet potatoes, beans, oatmeal, etc. Carbohydrates are your #1 main energy source from your macronutrients.
- Include proteins in each meal such as chicken, turkey, fish, salmon, beef, shrimp, etc. Consuming proteins is vital in maintaining muscle mass. Remember the more lean muscle mass you have the faster your metabolism will be.
Research studies show that following the Mediterranean diet is linked to lower BMI-Body Mass Index and lower bodyweight. The Mediterranean diet follows the diet of whole foods, healthy carbs, and lean protein.
Adopting an Active Lifestyle is Important in Weight Loss
- The American Heart Association recommends exercising 150 minutes a week to maintain a healthy heart. And that is walking 30 minutes a day about 5 days a week.
- The types of cardiovascular workouts you can do to burn calories are swimming, jogging, walking, gardening, cycling, dancing, etc.
- The types of strength training you can do are bodyweight training, dumbbell weights, resistance band workouts, weight-lifting machine workouts, etc.
- 45 minutes to 1 hour a day is enough time to get a quality workout between cardio and weight training workouts.
- Weight training allows you to burn calories after the workout and increase muscle mass. And that increase and maintenance of muscle mass will help to increase the rate of your resting metabolism rate.
- Weight-training and cardiovascular workouts are equally important in helping you lose up to 24lbs in 3 months.
Eating less than 1000 calories a day is very dangerous and extreme when it comes to weight loss. It is not sustainable consuming minimal calories like this. Research has shown that people that consume less than 1,200 calories per day see the biggest metabolism drop.
“If your goal is to lose 24 pounds in 3 months, then your caloric deficit needs to be at 1000 calories per day. You can’t achieve weight loss without having a caloric deficit.” Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert Obi Obadike
The Bottom Line is you can lose up to 24lbs in 3 months if you follow a sensible diet and exercise program that puts you in caloric deficit.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
- CDC- https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/walking/index.htm
- American Heart Association- https://www.heart.org/
- Academy of Nutrition Dietetics- https://www.eatright.org/food/nutrition/dietary-guidelines-and-myplate/how-many-calories-do-adults-need