Does collagen make you gain weight? Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body. It is naturally found in animal flesh like meat and fish that has connective tissue. Even though it is abundant in the body it is still a very popular selling supplement. And it is marketed to improve the health of your skin, nails, hair, and all components of the fountain of youth.
Collagen supplements will not make you gain weight but eating lots of bad food will though. Most of the studies on collagen supplements are related to joint and skin health. Human studies regarding this are limited but randomized controlled trials have found that collagen supplements improve elasticity.
Does collagen make you gain weight? Photo credit: iStock-Yulia Lisitsa
Some of the other randomized trials have found that collagen supplements can improve joint mobility and decrease joint pain in athletes. Some of the foods that boost collagen production are fish, meats, nuts, seeds, chicken, eggs, dairy, legumes, soy, etc.
The benefits of collagen supplements are that it contains essential amino acids, and it contains additional nutrients like vitamin c, zinc, and biotin. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein which are important for building and preserving lean muscle mass.
Collagen peptides has been used for:
- Improving skin hydration and skin elasticity in older people.
- Improving pain and joint function in people that have knee osteoarthritis. But this can take up to 5 months of daily treatment for it to work.
A 2015 study found that collagen peptides can manage osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis occurs when your joint cartilage wears down and causes joint pain and stiffness.
The types of collagen supplements are:
Some of the things that collagen supplements can help with are increasing satiety and increasing the effectiveness of resistance training on muscle mass. So, it can help with weight loss indirectly, but it isn’t a magic pill or bullet. And it shouldn’t replace healthy habits like exercising and eating right. It should assist with what you are doing.
There was a 2015 study on older adults who did 12 weeks of weight-training. Half of the people took collagen peptide supplements and the other took a placebo. The people that took collagen peptides experienced great improvement in muscle mass and strength.
One of the reasons why collagen can increase satiety and fullness is because of the protein in it.
“Collagen supplements will not make you gain weight but eating lots of bad food will though.”- Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert Obi Obadike
The Bottom Line taking a collagen supplement will not make you gain weight. But it can increase satiety and fullness, making you eat less food and lose weight. It can also help you increase muscle mass, improve your skin, hair, nails, etc.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can go to https://offer.ethicalinc.com/suppressant-offer/
- Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 24 January 2017
2. Kumar S, Sugihara F, Suzuki K, Inoue N, Venkateswarathirukumara S. A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised, clinical study on the effectiveness of collagen peptide on osteoarthritis. J Sci Food Agric. 2015 Mar 15;95(4):702-7. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6752. Epub 2014 Jun 24. PMID: 24852756.
3. Chiang TI, Chang IC, Lee HH, Hsieh KH, Chiu YW, Lai TJ, Liu JY, Hsu LS, Kao SH. Amelioration of estrogen deficiency-induced obesity by collagen hydrolysate. Int J Med Sci. 2016 Oct 19;13(11):853-857. doi: 10.7150/ijms.16706. PMID: 27877077; PMCID: PMC5118756.
4. Woo M, Song YO, Kang KH, Noh JS. Anti-Obesity Effects of Collagen Peptide Derived from Skate (Raja kenojei) Skin Through Regulation of Lipid Metabolism. Mar Drugs. 2018 Aug 30;16(9):306. doi: 10.3390/md16090306. PMID: 30200239; PMCID: PMC6164805.
5. Tak YJ, Kim YJ, Lee JG, Yi YH, Cho YH, Kang GH, Lee SY. Effect of Oral Ingestion of Low-Molecular Collagen Peptides Derived from Skate (Raja Kenojei) Skin on Body Fat in Overweight Adults: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial. Mar Drugs. 2019 Mar 7;17(3):157. doi: 10.3390/md17030157. PMID: 30866485; PMCID: PMC6471368.
6. Hochstenbach-Waelen A, Westerterp-Plantenga MS, Veldhorst MA, Westerterp KR. Single-protein casein and gelatin diets affect energy expenditure similarly but substrate balance and appetite differently in adults. J Nutr. 2009 Dec;139(12):2285-92. doi: 10.3945/jn.109.110403. Epub 2009 Oct 28. PMID: 19864402.
7. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 87, Issue 5, May 2008, Pages 1558S–1561S, https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/87.5.1558S
8. Moon J, Koh G. Clinical Evidence and Mechanisms of High-Protein Diet-Induced Weight Loss. J Obes Metab Syndr. 2020 Sep 30;29(3):166-173. doi: 10.7570/jomes20028. PMID: 32699189; PMCID: PMC7539343.