What are the health benefits of masago? Masago is considered a forage fish and it is a food source for codfish, whales, and seabirds. It is common for masago to be used as an ingredient in sushi rolls and the color is typically pale yellow. It is harvested from female capelin fish before it has to spawn. Smelt roe, which is also known as masago, belong to the smelt family.
What are the health benefits of masago? Istock
The Nutrient Facts of Masago is low in calories:
- Calories- 40
- Fat-2 grams
- Protein- 6 grams
- Carbs- less than one gram
- Vitamin C- 7% of the DV
- Vitamin E- 10% of the DV
- Riboflavin- 12% of the DV
- Vitamin B-12- 47% of the DV
- Folate- B-9- 6% of the DV
- Phosphorus-11% of the DV
- Selenium- 16% of the DV
Masago is considered a fish roe and although it is high in Vitamin B-12. You can only get Vitamin B-12 from food or supplements because your body cannot make it on its own. Fish roe/masago contains a lot of amino acids which your body needs such as lysine, valine, histidine, leucine, isoleucine, and phenylalanine. Leucine and lysine are essential amino acids for building and repairing muscle.
Masago contains a solid source of selenium and acts as a powerful antioxidant in the body. It plays a critical role in thyroid and immune function. Because of the amount of B-12 this will help with nerve health and energy production which is critical to what your body needs.
Masago is high in omega 3 fatty acids, and this is an important nutrient that will increase your overall health. Research studies have suggested that it will lower your risk of heart and coronary disease. This dietary fat will help with regulating inflammation as well as control blood clotting.
Another health benefit to eating masago is it is low in mercury. And if you are eating a fish low in mercury then you have minimal heavy metal exposure.
One of the downsides of eating Masago is that it is high in sodium. And an overconsumption of salt intake can give you high blood pressure and negatively affect your health. Because Masago is a fish it can give allergic reactions to people that have seafood allergies. And those allergies can include rashes, low blood pressure or the narrowing of airways.
“Another health benefit to eating Masago is it is low in mercury. And if you are eating a fish low in mercury then you have minimal heavy metal exposure.” Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert Obi Obadike
The Bottom Line is masago is a fish that is loaded with Vitamin B12, selenium, protein, omega 3 fatty acids and other nutrients that will improve your overall health.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals.
You can get a discount below at this link.
- Mäkinen-Kiljunen S, Kiistala R, Varjonen E. Severe reactions from roe without concomitant fish allergy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2003 Oct;91(4):413-6. doi: 10.1016/S1081-1206(10)61691-2. PMID: 14582823.
- He FJ, Li J, Macgregor GA. Effect of longer term modest salt reduction on blood pressure: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials. BMJ. 2013 Apr 3;346:f1325. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f1325. PMID: 23558162.
- Wang M, Moran AE, Liu J, Qi Y, Xie W, Tzong K, Zhao D. A Meta-Analysis of Effect of Dietary Salt Restriction on Blood Pressure in Chinese Adults. Glob Heart. 2015 Dec;10(4):291-299.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.gheart.2014.10.009. Epub 2015 Feb 7. PMID: 26014655; PMCID: PMC4529389.
- Kenšová R, Kružíková K, Havránek J, Haruštiaková D, Svobodová Z. Distribution of mercury in rainbow trout tissues at embryo-larval and juvenile stages. ScientificWorldJournal. 2012;2012:652496. doi: 10.1100/2012/652496. Epub 2012 May 2. PMID: 22645443; PMCID: PMC3354572.
- Djoussé L, Akinkuolie AO, Wu JH, Ding EL, Gaziano JM. Fish consumption, omega-3 fatty acids and risk of heart failure: a meta-analysis. Clin Nutr. 2012 Dec;31(6):846-53. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2012.05.010. Epub 2012 Jun 6. PMID: 22682084; PMCID: PMC3509256.
- Peter S, Chopra S, Jacob JJ. A fish a day, keeps the cardiologist away! – A review of the effect of omega-3 fatty acids in the cardiovascular system. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2013 May;17(3):422-9. doi: 10.4103/2230-8210.111630. PMID: 23869297; PMCID: PMC3712371.
- O’Leary F, Samman S. Vitamin B12 in health and disease. Nutrients. 2010 Mar;2(3):299-316. doi: 10.3390/nu2030299. Epub 2010 Mar 5. PMID: 22254022; PMCID: PMC3257642.
- Kesse-Guyot E, Fezeu L, Jeandel C, Ferry M, Andreeva V, Amieva H, Hercberg S, Galan P. French adults’ cognitive performance after daily supplementation with antioxidant vitamins and minerals at nutritional doses: a post hoc analysis of the Supplementation in Vitamins and Mineral Antioxidants (SU.VI.MAX) trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Sep;94(3):892-9. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.110.007815. Epub 2011 Jul 20. PMID: 21775560.
- Hoffmann PR, Berry MJ. The influence of selenium on immune responses. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2008 Nov;52(11):1273-80. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.200700330. PMID: 18384097; PMCID: PMC3723386.
- Rutjes AW, Denton DA, Di Nisio M, Chong LY, Abraham RP, Al-Assaf AS, Anderson JL, Malik MA, Vernooij RW, Martínez G, Tabet N, McCleery J. Vitamin and mineral supplementation for maintaining cognitive function in cognitively healthy people in mid and late life. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018 Dec 17;12(12):CD011906. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD011906.pub2. PMID: 30556597; PMCID: PMC6353240.
- Rayman MP. Selenium and human health. Lancet. 2012 Mar 31;379(9822):1256-68. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61452-9. Epub 2012 Feb 29. PMID: 22381456.
- Binsi PK, Viji P, Panda SK, Mathew S, Zynudheen AA, Ravishankar CN. Characterisation of hydrolysates prepared from engraved catfish (Nemapteryx caelata) roe by serial hydrolysis. J Food Sci Technol. 2016 Jan;53(1):158-70. doi: 10.1007/s13197-015-1998-6. Epub 2015 Sep 17. PMID: 26787939; PMCID: PMC4711433.
- Wu G. Amino acids: metabolism, functions, and nutrition. Amino Acids. 2009 May;37(1):1-17. doi: 10.1007/s00726-009-0269-0. Epub 2009 Mar 20. PMID: 19301095.
- Swanson D, Block R, Mousa SA. Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA: health benefits throughout life. Adv Nutr. 2012 Jan;3(1):1-7. doi: 10.3945/an.111.000893. Epub 2012 Jan 5. PMID: 22332096; PMCID: PMC3262608.
- Ryan-Harshman M, Aldoori W. Vitamin B12 and health. Can Fam Physician. 2008 Apr;54(4):536-41. PMID: 18411381; PMCID: PMC2294088.