What are the 4 different body types? The first body type is an ectomorph which is a body that is lean, slender and has less bodyfat and less muscle.
People that are this body type struggle with gaining weight in the form of muscle or fat. An example of this body type is a skinny high fashion model.
Photo Credit: iStock- Guzalila Filimonova
An endomorph is a body type that has more stored fat, lots of muscle and gains extra weight easily. An example of this body type is a football lineman.
Mesomorph is a body type that has a lot of muscle and is athletic and strong. The people that are this body type are either underweight or overweight. Sprinters, wide receivers and running back would be the best examples of this body type. A mesomorph body type tends to gain muscle easily. They can lose weight quickly but find it easy to gain fat too.
Weight training and cardiovascular training work best to maintain their frame. Research studies suggest that athletes that are involved in sports such as track and field, volleyball, boxing, martial arts, weight training have mesomorph body type characteristics.
One of the significant differences between mesomorph and endomorph vs ectomorph.
There are a lot of different factors that determines a body shape which is genetics, sex, age, diet, activity level, etc.
Some of the more common female shapes are the following:
- Hourglass body– This is when the top and the lower body of the body is equally broad with a small waist.
- Rectangle body- this body type is when the body has similar hip and shoulder width. The body is equal in proportions.
- Peer shape body- This body type is when the body has narrow shoulders than their hips. Most of the weight is in their lower hips, butt, and legs.
- Apple body– People with this body have extra weight in their chest and stomach and have thin legs. Their top and lower body is very narrow.
You are not defined by your genetic body shape and if you are an endomorph body type or a body type that carries more fat you can improve this genetic body type by exercising and eating right consistently. The exercise routine would be cardiovascular and weight-training and to do this consistently helps improve your body composition.
And a good balanced diet routine is protein foods like chicken, turkey, fish, beef, steak. Some good healthy complex carbs are brown rice, sweet potatoes, beans, baked potatoes, etc. Some good healthy fats are cashews, peanuts, pistachios, canola oil, sesame oil, etc. A good macronutrient balance of protein, carbs, and fats.
The Bottom Line is the most common body types are mesomorphic, endomorphic and ectomorphic. These body types don’t define what you can look like. Being on a consistent diet and exercise program can help improve the body types you were given hereditary and genetics wise.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
About Author- Obi Obadike
- Frank AP, de Souza Santos R, Palmer BF, Clegg DJ. Determinants of body fat distribution in humans may provide insight about obesity-related health risks. J Lipid Res. 2019 Oct;60(10):1710-1719. doi: 10.1194/jlr.R086975. Epub 2018 Aug 10. PMID: 30097511; PMCID: PMC6795075.
- Pluta W, Dudzińska W, Lubkowska A. Metabolic Obesity in People with Normal Body Weight (MONW)-Review of Diagnostic Criteria. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022 Jan 6;19(2):624. doi: 10.3390/ijerph19020624. PMID: 35055447; PMCID: PMC8776153.