What are the health benefits of a saltwater flush? One of the reasons why people do saltwater flushes is because it claims that it can clean the colon, treat chronic constipation, and detox your body. Although many people claim that a salt water flush can detox your body but there is no scientific evidence that a saltwater flush can detox the body. And there is no scientific evidence that a saltwater removes wastes buildup and parasites from your digestive tract.
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that shows it removes waste buildup and detoxes the body but that is anecdotal evidence not scientific evidence.
What are the health benefits of a saltwater flush? Photo credit: iStock-fizkes
There was a 2010 study in the Journal of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine that revealed that alternating drinking lukewarm saltwater and doing yoga poses cleansed the bowel in preparation of the colonoscopy.
Some of the negative symptoms of drinking salt water on any empty stomach is the following:
- Muscle Spasms
- Blood Pressure problems
If you have the following chronic diseases, it is advisable to not do a saltwater flush:
- Heart problems
- Kidney problems
- High Blood Pressure
- Gastrointestinal issues
Some of the alternatives to detoxing your body the natural without going the saltwater flush route is:
- Drinking up to 8 glasses of water daily
- Minimizing your alcohol intake
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet
- Exercising regularly
- Stay away from smoking.
- Trying to maintain a healthy weight.
- Trying to manage healthy blood pressure.
Many people sometimes fall into the trap of all these silly detox fixes when they don’t realize that your body naturally detox itself. That is what your kidneys and digestive system can do naturally. Your liver and kidneys help to filter out toxins from your body which is what a detox is supposed to do.
The Bottom Line is the health benefits of a salt water flush is treating chronic constipation and cleaning out your bowel. Most of the health benefits that the saltwater flush is mostly anecdotal evidence as opposed to scientific evidence.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
- Carding S, Verbeke K, Vipond DT, Corfe BM, Owen LJ. Dysbiosis of the gut microbiota in disease. Microb Ecol Health Dis. 2015 Feb 2;26:26191. doi: 10.3402/mehd.v26.26191. PMID: 25651997; PMCID: PMC4315779.
- Journal Of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine- Efficacy of Bolus Lukewarm Saline and Yoga Postures as Colonoscopy Preparation: A Pilot Study | The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine (liebertpub.com)