What is the difference between canola oil vs olive oil? Canola oil is made from rapeseed and has been bred to be low in toxic compounds like erucic acid and glucosinolates. The way this is engineered is what makes canola oil safe for consumption. Olive oil is made from pressed olives in the fruits of an olive tree.
What is the difference between canola oil vs olive oil? Photo Credit: iStock-Silberkorn
Here is the nutritional profile of canola oil:
- Calories- 124
- Fat- 14 grams
- Saturated- 7%
- Vitamin E- 16% of the RDI
- Vitamin K- 8% of the RDI
Here is the nutritional profile of olive oil:
- Calories- 124
- Fat- 14 grams
- Saturated- 14%
- Vitamin E- 13% of the RDI
- Vitamin K-7% of the RDI
Olive oil has more saturated and monounsaturated fat, but canola oil has more polyunsaturated fat. Canola oil and olive oil differ in antioxidant content. Olive oil contains over 200 plant compounds including polyphenols which are powerful antioxidants in the body.
The uses of olive oil and canola oil
Olive oil and canola is used for pan frying and medium cooking while canola oil is used for deep frying and high heat searing. The only downside of olive oil is the high price of it. Olive oil is used mostly in commercial kitchens and restaurants.
Which is healthier- olive oil or canola oil?
Olive oil is healthier than canola oil. Research studies have shown that consuming olive oil can reduce the risk of heart disease, improve blood sugar levels, and lower the risk of death. The analysis of 33 studies showed that people with the highest level of olive oil intake had a 16% lower risk of diabetes than those with the lowest intake. Research studies show that a high amount of olive oil consumption is linked to a lower risk of stroke and a reduction of heart disease factors.
It is important to know that most of the studies linking canola oil to heart health benefits are funded by the canola industry.
“The difference between canola oil and olive oil is that olive oil is healthier. And it has more antioxidants which is helpful to fighting off diseases.” Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert Obi Obadike
The Bottom Line is the difference between canola oil and olive oil is that olive oil is healthier. And it has more antioxidants which is helpful to fighting off diseases.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
- Souza PAL, Marcadenti A, Portal VL. Effects of Olive Oil Phenolic Compounds on Inflammation in the Prevention and Treatment of Coronary Artery Disease. Nutrients. 2017 Sep 30;9(10):1087. doi: 10.3390/nu9101087. PMID: 28973999; PMCID: PMC5691704.
- Nocella C, Cammisotto V, Fianchini L, D’Amico A, Novo M, Castellani V, Stefanini L, Violi F, Carnevale R. Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Cardiovascular Diseases: Benefits for Human Health. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2018;18(1):4-13. doi: 10.2174/1871530317666171114121533. PMID: 29141571.
- Casas R, Estruch R, Sacanella E. The Protective Effects of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on Immune-mediated Inflammatory Responses. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2018;18(1):23-35. doi: 10.2174/1871530317666171114115632. PMID: 29141575.
- Schwingshackl L, Lampousi AM, Portillo MP, Romaguera D, Hoffmann G, Boeing H. Olive oil in the prevention and management of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies and intervention trials. Nutr Diabetes. 2017 Apr 10;7(4):e262. doi: 10.1038/nutd.2017.12. PMID: 28394365; PMCID: PMC5436092.
- George ES, Marshall S, Mayr HL, Trakman GL, Tatucu-Babet OA, Lassemillante AM, Bramley A, Reddy AJ, Forsyth A, Tierney AC, Thomas CJ, Itsiopoulos C, Marx W. The effect of high-polyphenol extra virgin olive oil on cardiovascular risk factors: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2019;59(17):2772-2795. doi: 10.1080/10408398.2018.1470491. Epub 2018 Nov 13. PMID: 29708409.
- Angeloni C, Malaguti M, Barbalace MC, Hrelia S. Bioactivity of Olive Oil Phenols in Neuroprotection. Int J Mol Sci. 2017 Oct 25;18(11):2230. doi: 10.3390/ijms18112230. PMID: 29068387; PMCID: PMC5713200.
- Zhang YJ, Gan RY, Li S, Zhou Y, Li AN, Xu DP, Li HB. Antioxidant Phytochemicals for the Prevention and Treatment of Chronic Diseases. Molecules. 2015 Nov 27;20(12):21138-56. doi: 10.3390/molecules201219753. PMID: 26633317; PMCID: PMC6331972.
- Lee OH, Lee BY, Kim YC, Shetty K, Kim YC. Radical scavenging-linked antioxidant activity of ethanolic extracts of diverse types of extra virgin olive oils. J Food Sci. 2008 Sep;73(7):C519-25. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00865.x. Epub 2008 Aug 8. PMID: 18803696.
- Papazzo A, Conlan X, Lexis L, Lewandowski P. The effect of short-term canola oil ingestion on oxidative stress in the vasculature of stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats. Lipids Health Dis. 2011 Oct 17;10:180. doi: 10.1186/1476-511X-10-180. PMID: 21999921; PMCID: PMC3215974.
- Lauretti E, Praticò D. Effect of canola oil consumption on memory, synapse and neuropathology in the triple transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease. Sci Rep. 2017 Dec 7;7(1):17134. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-17373-3. PMID: 29215028; PMCID: PMC5719422.