What causes hormonal imbalance in men and women? Some of the causes of hormonal imbalance are stress, eating disorders, cancers treatments such as chemotherapy, pituitary disorders, cancerous or benign tumors.
Hormonal imbalance is such an important part of your overall health whether you are a male or a female. It is important to know that many of the hormonal imbalance conditions can easily be treated. Hormonal balances will always fluctuate over time especially through aging naturally.
What causes hormonal imbalance in men and women? Photo credit: iStock- TarikVision
Other health conditions that can cause hormonal imbalances are:
- Addison’s disease
- Cushing Syndrome
- Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes
- Hypothyroidism which is an underactive thyroid
- Hyperthyroidism which is an active thyroid
- Pregnant women
- Women that are breastfeeding
- Hormone medications such as birth control pills
The common hormonal conditions that affect people of all genders can cause the following signs and symptoms:
- Muscle Weakness
- Frequent urination
- Pain, stiffness and swelling in joints
- Muscle aches, tenderness, and stiffness
- Constipation or frequent bowel movements
- Dry Skin
- Decreased sex drive
- Nervousness or anxiety
- Thinning or brittle hair
- Blurred vision
Here are some hormonal tests you can do to detect your hormonal levels:
- Blood Test- A doctor can check your hormones by taking a sample of your blood. The doctor can check your thyroid, levels of estrogen, testosterone, and cortisol.
- An ultrasound machine can use sound waves to look inside your body. A doctor can request ultrasounds images of the uterus, ovaries, testicles, thyroid, pituitary gland, etc.
- Some of the more advanced tests you can do are an MRI, biopsy, thyroid scan, sperm count test, x-ray, etc.
- If you want to use a simple home testing kit that may be the easiest if you don’t want to go the doctor. A home testing kit can use either saliva, blood, or urine to test for cortisol, key thyroid hormones and sex hormones.
Some of the treatment options for hormonal treatment are:
- If you are experiencing vaginal dryness or pain during sex applying estrogen cream, ring or tablet can help with vaginal lubrication.
- The types of hormonal birth control that can help regulate menstruation are birth control patch, birth control shot, IUD, vaginal ring,
- Testosterone therapy is prescribed when patients have low testosterone levels. It is made available via pills, injections, patch, gel, etc.
- If you have hypothyroidism patients can be prescribed a synthetic thyroid hormone called Levothyroxine. This can bring hormone levels back to balance.
Some of the lifestyle changes you can do to help balance your hormones are:
- Follow a balanced healthy diet incorporating proteins, carbs, and healthy fats.
- One of the best ways to decrease vaginal discomfort is lubes or moisturizers such as petroleum jelly, glycerin, etc.
- To minimize hot flashes is to avoid warm temperatures, spicy foods, or hot beverages.
- Losing weight can help improve erectile dysfunction and regulate menstrual cycles.
“Losing weight can help improve erectile dysfunction and regulate menstrual cycles.” Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert Obi Obadike
The Bottom Line is hormonal imbalances is a very common problem but, in most cases, it can easily be treated. It is important to treat it the right way if you notice any of the common symptoms. You can easily purchase a home testing kit to test your hormone levels if you choose not to go to your local doctor.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can get a discount below at this link.
- Grymowicz M, Rudnicka E, Podfigurna A, Napierala P, Smolarczyk R, Smolarczyk K, Meczekalski B. Hormonal Effects on Hair Follicles. Int J Mol Sci. 2020 Jul 28;21(15):5342. doi: 10.3390/ijms21155342. PMID: 32731328; PMCID: PMC7432488.