Is cottage cheese keto worthy? Cottage cheese has a reliable source of protein, and it fits into the daily allowance of the Keto diet.
Here is the nutrition value info of full fat cottage cheese based on ½ cup.
4% Full Fat- 98 calories, Carbs- 3 grams, Fat, 4 grams, Protein, 11 grams.
2% Reduced Fat- 81 calories, Carbs- 5 grams, Fat, 2 grams, Protein, 10 grams.
1% Reduced Fat- 72 calories, Carbs-3 grams, Fat- 1 grams, Protein- 12 grams.
Non-Fat- 72 calories, Carbs- 7 grams, Fat- 0 grams, Protein- 10 grams.
Low Fat with Pineapple and cherry- 96 calories, Carbs- 13 grams, Fat- 1 gram, Protein- 9 grams.
Low fat with garden vegetable- 98 calories, Carbs- 4 grams, Fat- 4 grams, Protein- 11 grams.
What is a keto diet? A keto diet forces your body to burn ketones which is a byproduct of fat. A standard keto diet is 80% of your calories coming from fat, 15% from protein and 5% coming from carbs. Eating too many carbs can kick you out of ketosis. And extreme amounts of protein can do the same because your body can convert protein into glucose.
The types of food you wouldn’t eat on a keto diet are the following:
- Grains like oats, barley, quinoa, rice
- Milk and yogurt
- Legumes like peas or lentils
- Milk or Yogurt
The reason for this is the carbs are too high and it would exclude you from being in the Keto phase. To stay in ketosis, you need to be around 20 to 60 grams of carbs per day. If you are on a 2000 calorie a day diet you would go with 178 grams of fat, 75 grams of protein and 25 grams of carbs per day. The 25 grams of carbs per day is what keeps you in ketosis.
There was a study in 50 women following a low carbs diet for weight loss. The women started with 20 grams of carbs per day and then it increased to 40 grams of carbs per day and then it increased to 60 grams of carbs per day. And even at 60 grams of carbs per day they were still able to produce ketones.
Keto originally was created to help epileptic people that had seizures. Some research studies have shown it offers health benefits such as reduced insulin resistance, cholesterol, blood sugar levels and improvements in neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s.
“Cottage cheese has a reliable source of protein, and it fits into the daily allowance of the Keto diet.” Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert Obi Obadike
The Bottom Line is cottage cheese is high in fat and low in carbs, so it easily fits in the keto diet lifestyle. It shouldn’t affect you from not producing ketones.
If you are consuming 60 grams of carbs or less per day, then you should still be in ketosis. And ½ cup of cottage cheese is on an average about 4 to 5 grams of carbs.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can go to
- Sumithran P, Proietto J. Ketogenic diets for weight loss: A review of their principles, safety and efficacy. Obes Res Clin Pract. 2008 Mar;2(1):I-II. doi: 10.1016/j.orcp.2007.11.003. PMID: 24351673.
- Gasior M, Rogawski MA, Hartman AL. Neuroprotective and disease-modifying effects of the ketogenic diet. Behav Pharmacol. 2006 Sep;17(5-6):431-9. doi: 10.1097/00008877-200609000-00009. PMID: 16940764; PMCID: PMC2367001.
- Brehm BJ, Spang SE, Lattin BL, Seeley RJ, Daniels SR, D’Alessio DA. The role of energy expenditure in the differential weight loss in obese women on low-fat and low-carbohydrate diets. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Mar;90(3):1475-82. doi: 10.1210/jc.2004-1540. Epub 2004 Dec 14. PMID: 15598683.
- Gershuni VM, Yan SL, Medici V. Nutritional Ketosis for Weight Management and Reversal of Metabolic Syndrome. Curr Nutr Rep. 2018 Sep;7(3):97-106. doi: 10.1007/s13668-018-0235-0. PMID: 30128963; PMCID: PMC6472268.
- USDA- U.S Department Of Agriculture- https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/336751/nutrients