What are the health benefits of chia seeds? It helps to improve digestive health and reduce the risk for heart disease and diabetes.
The nutrition facts of 3.5 ounces of Chia seeds are:
- Calories- 486
- Water- 6%
- Protein- 16.5 grams
- Carbs- 42.1 grams
- Sugar- 0 grams
- Fat- 30.7 grams
- Saturated- 3.33 grams
- Monounsaturated-2.31 grams
- Polyunsaturated- 23.67 grams
- Omega 3- 17.83 grams
- Omega 6- 5.84 grams
- Trans- 0.14 grams
What are the health benefits of Chia seeds? Photo Credit: iStock-m-chin
More than 80% of chia contains carbs and it contains soluble and insoluble fiber. The fiber in chia seeds can help reduce the risk of colon cancer and help promote your digestive health.
Chia seeds contains fat and 75% of that contains Omega 3 acids and 20% contains Omega 6 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids can help relieve inflammation in the body. Studies have shown that a lower omega 6 to omega 3 ratio in Chia seeds can lower the risk of heart disease, cancer, inflammatory disease, and a lower risk of death.
Chia seeds contains 19% protein which is more than most cereals and grains. These seeds offer all the nine essential amino acids that your body needs.
“The fiber and protein in chia seeds will suppress your appetite making you eat less food which would result into weight loss.“- Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert Obi Obadike
Vitamins and Minerals
Chia seeds provide vitamins and minerals that your body needs and that is:
- Phosphorus- This is found in protein rich foods and contributes to bone health and tissue maintenance.
- Selenium- is an important antioxidant.
- Manganese is essential for growth, metabolism, and development.
- Calcium which is essential for bones, muscle, and nerves.
- Copper is important for heart health which many people lack this important vitamin in their diet.
- Iron which helps with transporting oxygen throughout the body.
Some of the other health benefits of Chia seeds are increasing blood levels of Omega 3, improved blood sugar control and lower blood pressure. There are also weight loss benefits to eating chia seeds.
Because one ounce of chia seeds is equal to 10 grams of fiber, and it will make you full when eating it. The fiber and protein in chia seeds will suppress your appetite making you eat less food which would result into weight loss.
The Bottom Line is Chia seeds has a lot of health benefits such as improving blood sugar control, lowering of blood pressure, and reducing the risk of heart disease. It is high in fiber which is good for the digestive system and lowering the risk of colon cancer.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness, weight loss or health goals. You can go to
- McRae MP. Dietary Fiber Is Beneficial for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: An Umbrella Review of Meta-analyses. J Chiropr Med. 2017 Dec;16(4):289-299. doi: 10.1016/j.jcm.2017.05.005. Epub 2017 Oct 25. PMID: 29276461; PMCID: PMC5731843.
- Toscano LT, da Silva CS, Toscano LT, de Almeida AE, Santos Ada C, Silva AS. Chia flour supplementation reduces blood pressure in hypertensive subjects. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2014 Dec;69(4):392-8. doi: 10.1007/s11130-014-0452-7. PMID: 25403867.
- Alwosais EZM, Al-Ozairi E, Zafar TA, Alkandari S. Chia seed (Salvia hispanica L.) supplementation to the diet of adults with type 2 diabetes improved systolic blood pressure: A randomized controlled trial. Nutr Health. 2021 Jun;27(2):181-189. doi: 10.1177/0260106020981819. Epub 2021 Feb 2. PMID: 33530854.
- Oktay AA, Akturk HK, Esenboğa K, Javed F, Polin NM, Jahangir E. Pathophysiology and Prevention of Heart Disease in Diabetes Mellitus. Curr Probl Cardiol. 2018 Mar;43(3):68-110. doi: 10.1016/j.cpcardiol.2017.05.001. Epub 2017 May 10. PMID: 29471918.
- Ullah R, Nadeem M, Khalique A, Imran M, Mehmood S, Javid A, Hussain J. Nutritional and therapeutic perspectives of Chia (Salvia hispanica L.): a review. J Food Sci Technol. 2016 Apr;53(4):1750-8. doi: 10.1007/s13197-015-1967-0. Epub 2015 Oct 1. PMID: 27413203; PMCID: PMC4926888.
- Martínez-Cruz O, Paredes-López O. Phytochemical profile and nutraceutical potential of chia seeds (Salvia hispanica L.) by ultra high performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A. 2014 Jun 13;1346:43-8. doi: 10.1016/j.chroma.2014.04.007. Epub 2014 Apr 13. PMID: 24811150.
- USDA US Department Of Agriculture- https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/170554/nutrients