Why am I not losing weight consistently? You are not losing weight because you are eating too much unhealthy food and not exercising enough. Weight loss will always be predicated on how much you eat and what you eat. The only way to lose weight is you must be in calorie deficit of anywhere between 500 and 1000 calories per day.
A lot of times when we eat food, we don’t even know how much we are eating. Because as a society we are terrible at tracking our food. That is why tracking your food diary is extremely helpful when you are trying to lose weight. Because you can get an idea of how many calories you are consuming a day vs how much you are you exercising.
You will see so much stuff on the internet that will say you need to be on low carbs diet. Or you need to be on a no carbs diet or a high fats diet. And doing that will be the magic solution to weight loss. Balance is always the best approach to long term weight loss. Balance meaning 40% of your food coming from carbs, 40% of your food coming from protein and 20% of your calories coming from healthy fats.
Why Am I Not Losing Weight Consistently? – Photo Credit: iStock peakSTOCK
Things To Do To Lose Weight
- Avoid processed foods and focus on whole protein foods such as chicken, turkey, fish. Focus on complex carbs such as brown rice, sweet potatoes. And focus on healthy fats such as unsalted almonds, cashews, and nuts.
- Also incorporating high fiber foods like vegetables such as asparagus, broccoli, spinach. Or fruits like bananas, apples, oranges, peaches, apricots, etc. Fruits and vegetables are high in nutrients and low in calories. And because it is high in fiber it fills you up and you won’t want to eat as much food.
- Lifting weights builds muscle and strength, but the increase in lean muscle mass will speed up your metabolism. Resistance training will heighten the EPOC- (Exercise Post Oxygen Consumption) which is the ability to burn calories after the workout.
- Cardiovascular is one of the best calorie burning ways for fat loss. And if you are not doing any type of physical activity then you shouldn’t complain about why you are not losing weight. You should be doing at least 3 days of cardio per week minimally at 30 minutes a day. And the types of cardio you do can be dancing, walking, hiking, swimming, treadmill, stairmaster, elliptical, stationary bike, cycling.
- Drinking water will help you lose weight because if you are drinking about 6 to 8 glasses of water per day you will eat less food. Water will fill you up and it has 0 calories.
- Cutting alcohol out of your diet will make you lose weight as alcohol is about 7 calories per gram which is high. There are studies that have shown that heavy alcohol drinking is linked to weight gain, but moderate drinking is ok.
- Avoiding fast food restaurants will help with you losing weight. A full fast-food meal at McDonald’s is about 1,200 calories in one sitting. Fast food is extremely high in calories and is always the thing that it makes it difficult for most people to lose weight.
- Understanding what is reasonable and that an average weekly healthy weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds per week. Whatever you see on these reality tv shows like the Biggest Loser where someone loses 30 pounds in 2 weeks is not realistic at all. Sometimes when people don’t see quick results they tend to give up. Weight-loss is a marathon not a sprint, so it takes time to lose weight and being patient in the process is important.
- If you don’t know what you are doing hire a trainer or nutritionist to help you with your weight-loss goals. And then use that timeframe to learn from them. And after about 6 to 8 weeks or so you should know what to do and you can continue your own.
- Minimizing your sugar intake is a great strategy for weight loss. Because most sugary foods contain a high number of calories.
“Drinking water will help you lose weight because if you are drinking about 6 to 8 glasses of water per day you will eat less food.” Celebrity Fitness & Nutrition Expert Obi Obadike
The Bottom Line is weight loss is about healthy eating and consistent exercise. And if you do that consistently you will lose and be able to manage your weight and reach your goal.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness or health goals. You can go to https://ethicalinc.com/product/multivitamin/
- Sayon-Orea C, Martinez-Gonzalez MA, Bes-Rastrollo M. Alcohol consumption and body weight: a systematic review. Nutr Rev. 2011 Aug;69(8):419-31. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00403.x. PMID: 21790610. Alcohol consumption and body weight: a systematic review – PubMed (nih.gov)