Can keto cause bad breath? Yes, keto can cause bad breath and it produces an odor that is different than the usual bad breath. It can be a fruity smelling/metallic taste type of breath. And some people have said it smells like nail polish remover.
The ketogenic diet is a high fat, moderate protein, and low carb diet. And this happens when you don’t get enough carbs in your diet and your body starts burning fat for fuel. So, your body uses fat for fuel as opposed to carbs for fuel and that is how ketosis is established. So keto is doing the opposite of what your body is intended to do.
Can keto cause bad breath?
When you are not on keto your body does the following metabolism wise:
- Your body gets energy from carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. And your body breaks down carbohydrates or glucose for energy and then fat.
Keto breaks fat first because there aren’t enough carbs in your body for it to use for energy purposes.
Not everybody that is on a keto diet experiences bad breath. And it is important to know that bad keto breath is temporary. But it can last up to a couple of weeks.
How To Remove Bad Keto Breath?
- Brush your twice a day and floss twice a day. This can help remove bacteria and reduce the odor from your mouth.
- It wont hurt to add gum or mints to freshen your breath if you have an odor from being on a keto diet.
- Slightly increasing your carbs intake while staying in the keto range will help. So, if you are getting 20 grams of carbs per day then maybe increase it to 25 or 30 grams of carbs per day. If you increase your carbs dramatically it can remove you from the state of ketosis and minimize your bad breath.
- Drink more water and hydrating your body more will help flush ketones from your system through urine.
- Eating less protein can help rid of keto breath. Try decreasing your protein consumption. When your body breaks down protein it produces ammonia. And that is where is that bad breath comes from.
If you can eat more carbs and consume less protein that is the quickest way to minimize bad breath. The keto diet is an exceedingly trendy way to lose weight, but it is very extreme because not everybody can function well on less than 50 grams of carbs per day. In fact, it is not advisable to sustain that extreme deficiency for a prolonged period from a health and wellness perspective.
Is Keto The Only Way To Lose Weight?
You can still lose weight without being that extreme in any of your macronutrients whether it be your carbs, proteins, or your fats. You don’t need to be on less than 50 grams of per day to lose weight. Also, there is no long-term research data that shows that extreme deficiency in macronutrients is why you lose weight.
“You don’t need to be on less than 50 grams of per day to lose weight.”- Celebrity Fitness Expert Obi Obadike
The Bottom Line: Balance is always the best approach in long term weight loss sustainability.
If you have any interest in trying any of our Ethical Supplement products to help you heighten your immune system or assist you with your fitness or health goals, you can go to https://ethicalinc.com/product/multivitamin/